Click on the FAQ's below to view full answers.

Expand all

I currently rent from WCOCH and would like to renew.  What is the process?

In September of each year, we send out a letter asking for your group’s intention to renew. As a WCOCH resident, you are also given the opportunity to lease a different apartment or house during our renewal period prior to available units being released to the general public. Please contact our office for more information if needed. 

I am interested in renting a property from WCOCH, what is the process?

1. Talk to your parents/make them aware of your interest to live off campus.

2. Stop by the office in early October.

3. In early October, we have a good idea of our inventory of what units are available after renewing our current residents.

4. You will need to find a common time in which everyone in your group is available to view the unit(s).

     -we will not show you the unit unless everyone is present

5. You may schedule an appointment to tour 2 units. Tour will take no more than a ½ hour. Staff will meet you at the unit.

6. If the group is interested in a unit, please contact the office, read the lease online/ ask us for the username, etc., and than apply

     -The application can be picked up from our office or downloaded from online (username/password provided during tour)

     -All potential residents must apply

     -$150.00 Application fee is non-refundable (fee waived for current WCOCH residents)  

     -An application is not a security deposit and non transferable.

     -An application will not “hold” a unit unless ALL applications are turned in with application fees, and copies of driver’s licenses provided.

     -The main contact for your group must hand in ALL applications to include copies of government issued IDs (school ID is not acceptable), and individual application fees.

     -Once all applications are received, we will put your lease packet together for signatures. We will hold the unit for a week

7. ALL potential residents have a maximum of 7 days to have the lease completely signed by all tenants, and their parent signature/guarantors. These signatures and their total security deposit are due with the lease. Parent/guarantors signatures may be signed electronically via the office. Lease would need to be returned early to allow for a minimum of two days for electronic processing.

8. Failure to return the lease within 7 days will result in losing the unit.

I see that your lease requires tenants to purchase a renter's insurance. Can you explain what needs to be covered, and how to obtain this insurance?

It is normal business practice for a property owner to require you to purchase renter's insurance. A renter's insurance policy is very simple to obtain, and relatively inexpensive.

As a tenant of WCOCH, you are required to purchase and maintain renter's and personal liability insurance coverage. You may purchase insurance from any reputable fire and liability insurance company with an AM Best rating of A-VII or better, licensed to do business in the State of Pennsylvania, and will write the policy as required by your lease (lease pg. 16). Examples of such companies include: State Farm Insurance, Allstate Insurance, Liberty Mutual Insurance, Erie Insurance (subject to change at businesses discretion.)

Policies differ from company to company and we recommend you receive multiple price quotes. You may be able to list all of the tenants of the residence under one policy. This will keep costs down dramatically. The policy must have your name(s), unit address/#, a minimum personal liability coverage of $300,000, and WCOCH listed as "additional INSURED."

Upon move in day, you will be required to provide proof of renter's insurance. You may forward a copy to the office ahead of time to be better prepared for a quicker check-in.  Correct insurance will enable you to recieve your keys.  If your move in date is scheduled earlier than your lease start date, your renter's insurance policy must begin on the move in date.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact our office for further information. We are happy to assist you.

I noticed WCOCH offers scholarships. How do I apply?

There are certain requirements you must meet to be eligible to apply for our scholarships. Please refer to the scholarship postcard included in your check-in envelop or stop by the office. For more information, you may also consult the WCU website: https://www.wcupa.edu/_services/fin_aid/scholarships.aspx

I can't log into the internet, which is provided by WCOCH.  What can I do?

Most of our properties come with courtesy WIFI. Please note if you live in an apartment complex with us, you are allowed to access any network provided by WCOCH depending on where you live. Should you have trouble connecting, please make sure you are entering the correct passcode. The passcode is provided on your Rental HELP - Life Skills Booklet which was given to you at check-in.

I would like to pay my rent, what are my options?

You may pay your rent by: Check, Money Order or Certified Bankers Check. Keep in mind; each unit (apartment or house) must make their monthly payment in one lump sum i.e one check or money order. Rent may be mailed to 327 South High Street Office. You may also drop any payment at our office.  We do not accept payment via Credit Card, or over the phone. 

I am a resident of WCOCH and would like a street parking pass.  How Can I get a permit?

The Borough of West Chester distributes parking permits for ON-street parking. You must have at least 2 proofs of residency (a copy of your lease, a utility bill, proof of renter's insurance). You must also have a valid driver’s license, car registration, and proof of insurance. The address for the Borough building is 401 E. Gay St, West Chester, PA, 19382. For more information, please visit their website http://www.west-chester.com/173/Residential-Permit-Parking-Program 

I am NOT a PA resident, what are my options for getting an on-street parking permit?.

If you are not a PA resident, the Borough of West Chester will only issue you a parking permit for the parking "Area C". This area surrounds the streets of the university. Please ask the Borough Parking Authority for more information. The Borough offices are located at 401 East Gay St. WCOCH also has a limited number of parking spaces for lease. Please contact our office for additional details. Please note, you must be a CURRENT resident of WCOCH to be eligible to lease the additional parking spaces.

Do I have to be a WCU student to rent from WCOCH?

No. You may be a student at any university. Also, there are a select number of housing options available for recent graduates. Please contact our office for details.

I have signed onto a lease, but I need to be removed.  What is the process?

For more information, please consult your lease section #17 and then contact our office. There will be additional paperwork that needs to be filled out. You are still contractually obligated to the lease and your group until a replacement has been found and a new lease is executed. We will help you through the procedure and forward any propective replacements from our backup list.